Whether you're heading out for a weekend camping trip or embarking on a cross-country road trip, packing your Toyota Highlander's cargo area can be a daunting task. With limited space and a variety of gear to bring along, it's important to have a plan in place to ensure everything fits and is easily accessible. In this blog post, we'll provide you with tips and tricks for packing your Toyota Highlander's cargo area for any adventure. From groceries to gear, we'll show you how to maximize your space and keep everything organized for a stress-free journey.
Toyota Highlander Cargo Area Dimensions and Capacity
The Toyota Highlander is a popular SUV that offers plenty of space for both passengers and cargo. The cargo area dimensions and capacity vary depending on the model year and trim level, but here are some general measurements:
- 2019-2021 Highlander: 16 cubic feet of cargo space behind the third row, 48.4 cubic feet with the third row folded down, and 84.3 cubic feet with both the second and third rows folded down.
- 2014-2018 Highlander: 13.8 cubic feet of cargo space behind the third row, 42.3 cubic feet with the third row folded down, and 83.7 cubic feet with both the second and third rows folded down.
- 2008-2013 Highlander: 10.3 cubic feet of cargo space behind the third row, 42.3 cubic feet with the third row folded down, and 95.4 cubic feet with both the second and third rows folded down.
These measurements are important to keep in mind when packing for a trip or hauling large items. It's also worth noting that the Highlander has a maximum towing capacity of 5,000 pounds, which can come in handy for towing trailers or boats.
Essential Gear and Supplies for Camping in a Toyota Highlander
Camping in a Toyota Highlander can be a fun and convenient way to explore the great outdoors. Here are some essential gear and supplies to bring along:
- Tent: A tent is a must-have for camping. Look for one that fits your group size and is easy to set up and take down.
- Sleeping bags and pads: Make sure you have warm and comfortable sleeping bags and pads to get a good night's sleep.
- Camp stove and fuel: A camp stove and fuel can be used to cook meals and boil water for coffee or tea.
- Cooler: A cooler is essential for keeping food and drinks cold during your trip.
- Camp chairs: Comfortable camp chairs are a great way to relax around the campfire.
- Headlamps or flashlights: These are essential for navigating around the campsite at night.
- First aid kit: It's always a good idea to have a first aid kit on hand in case of emergencies.
- Maps and guidebooks: These can help you plan your trip and find the best hiking trails and scenic spots.
- Trash bags: Always pack out what you pack in and leave the campsite cleaner than you found it.
With these essential gear and supplies, you'll be ready for a comfortable and enjoyable camping trip in your Toyota Highlander.
Tips for Organizing and Securing Cargo in a Toyota Highlander
When it comes to organizing and securing cargo in your Toyota Highlander, there are a few tips to keep in mind:
1. Use cargo organizers: There are many cargo organizers available that fit perfectly in the Highlander's trunk. These organizers can help keep items separated and prevent them from rolling around during transit.
2. Utilize the cargo net: The Highlander comes with a cargo net that can be used to secure items in the trunk. This net can be adjusted to fit different sized items and can help prevent them from shifting during transit.
3. Use tie-downs: If you have larger items that won't fit in the cargo organizers or under the cargo net, consider using tie-downs to secure them to the floor of the trunk. This will prevent them from moving around during transit.
4. Don't overload: It's important not to overload your Highlander with too much cargo. This can affect the vehicle's handling and performance, and can also be dangerous if items are not properly secured.
How to Pack Your Toyota Highlander for a Road Trip
Packing your Toyota Highlander for a road trip can be a daunting task, but with a little planning and organization, it can be a breeze. Here are some tips to help you pack efficiently:
1. Make a list: Before you start packing, make a list of everything you'll need for your trip. This will help you stay organized and ensure you don't forget anything important.
2. Pack light: It's important not to overload your Highlander with too much luggage. Only pack what you need and try to keep it as light as possible to improve fuel efficiency and handling.
3. Use packing cubes: Packing cubes can help keep your clothes and other items organized and easy to find. They also help maximize space in your luggage.
4. Utilize the roof rack: If you need extra space, consider using a roof rack. This can be a great way to transport larger items like bikes, kayaks, or camping gear.
5. Keep essentials within reach: Make sure to pack any essentials like snacks, water, and a first aid kit within easy reach in case of an emergency.
Best Accessories for Maximizing Storage Space in a Toyota Highlander
The Toyota Highlander is a popular SUV that offers ample storage space for both passengers and cargo. However, there are several accessories that you can add to your Highlander to maximize your storage space even further. Here are some of the best accessories for maximizing storage space in a Toyota Highlander:
- Cargo Box: A cargo box is a great accessory for increasing storage space in your Highlander. It can be mounted on the roof and is perfect for storing bulky items like camping gear or sports equipment.
- Cargo Net: A cargo net is a simple accessory that can be used to secure loose items in the cargo area of your Highlander. It's perfect for holding groceries or other small items in place.
- Cargo Liner: A cargo liner is a must-have accessory for anyone who frequently transports messy items like pets or gardening supplies. It protects the cargo area from spills and stains and is easy to clean.
- Roof Rack: A roof rack is a versatile accessory that can be used to carry a variety of items like bikes, kayaks, or skis. It's a great way to free up space inside the Highlander.
- Cargo Organizer: A cargo organizer is a great accessory for keeping the cargo area of your Highlander neat and organized. It's perfect for storing smaller items like tools or sports equipment.
By adding these accessories to your Toyota Highlander, you can maximize your storage space and make the most of your SUV's cargo capacity.
Toyota Highlander vs. Other SUVs: Comparing Cargo Space and Features
The Toyota Highlander is a popular midsize SUV that offers a spacious interior and plenty of cargo space. However, how does it compare to other SUVs in its class? Let's take a look at how the Toyota Highlander stacks up against some of its competitors:
- Honda Pilot: The Honda Pilot is a close competitor to the Toyota Highlander. It offers slightly more cargo space than the Highlander, with up to 83.9 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats folded down. However, the Highlander offers more standard safety features.
- Ford Explorer: The Ford Explorer is another popular midsize SUV. It offers slightly less cargo space than the Highlander, with up to 80.7 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats folded down. However, the Explorer offers more powerful engine options.
- Chevrolet Traverse: The Chevrolet Traverse is a larger SUV that offers more cargo space than the Highlander, with up to 98.2 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats folded down. However, the Traverse is less fuel-efficient than the Highlander.
- Nissan Pathfinder: The Nissan Pathfinder is another midsize SUV that offers slightly less cargo space than the Highlander, with up to 79.5 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats folded down. However, the Pathfinder offers more towing capacity than the Highlander.
Overall, the Toyota Highlander is a strong contender in its class, offering ample cargo space and a variety of standard safety features. However, it's important to consider your specific needs and preferences when choosing an SUV.
Overall, the Toyota Highlander is a versatile vehicle that can accommodate a wide range of adventures. Whether you're heading to the grocery store or embarking on a camping trip, there are plenty of ways to pack your cargo area efficiently and effectively. By following these tips and tricks, you can make the most of your Highlander's space and ensure that you have everything you need for your next adventure. So go ahead and load up your gear, pack your snacks, and hit the road with confidence knowing that your Toyota Highlander is ready for anything.